10.26.2015

Game 5

So this was a rough one.  I had to play 3 games.  We arrive in Fremont (we're playing Team Grech) and they have very nice courts with the smaller lines already painted on.  On one court, there is a girl,  probably about 10, much taller than me and playing with her dad.  She's serving and what not and they're doing some drills.  We think she's just having a lesson and not part of the team.  She's good and clearly not in my grouping....only she was.  And she was their #1.  I was a bit scared because I had watched her play earlier.  She hits hard and fast.

Mom's watching the game and was very nervous for me, but I like to play it cool.  Megha was leading for a bit, and then...amazingly...we were tied.  She was getting frustrated...grunting and reprimanding herself after each mistake.  And it was tiring, too.  Our rallies would go on and on.  She was good.  It was 3-3 and so we had to do a tie breaker....it was 4-1 and they called time....so yessir....I won!  Not sure how it happened, but she made a lot of mistakes.  I was just trying to keep that ball in play.

I barely got to take a break when I had to play another game.  This time doubles.  This girl Riya was my partner.  We played against another girl and boy team.  It was tough.  That girl's serve was also fast.  We were actually tied 3-3 and the coach said we had to do a one point tie break....but then we lost.

Again, no break and onto another round of doubles.  This time Arnav was my partner...and we played against Megha and another boy.  This game felt a little bit like I was running both sides...Arnav is kinda new, so I had to get the balls he missed.   We won again, this time 4-2.  By then I was super tired.  I had been playing for over an hour.  But boy was that fun!

Later, Mom checked out this girl's stats online.  Apparently she has been through a number of junior teams since fall of 2014 and has played in 20+ tournaments over the last year.  She's accumulated 63 Orange Ball points....I will only have 5 when this junior league is done.  I'm not even going to get any more orange ball points because I want to move to the regular ball leagues.  Our team is now number 2...next week, we face the #1 team.  Yikes.

No comments: